One of my favourite breakfasts is muffins. I love that you can pack so much flavour – and even nutrition – in such a delicious little package. I’m always trying to sneak the nutritious stuff into muffins. Whether it’s my Carrot Walnut Bran Muffins or my Banana and Chia Seed Muffins, you can usually find something nutritious tucked into just about every muffin recipe I make. Well, maybe not every muffin recipe…but definitely most of them!
Good for you not withstanding, I do love a muffin with a streusel topping. Naked muffins taste good but there’s something about a streusel topping that makes a muffin look – and taste – extra appealing. These Banana Streusel Muffins with Flaxseed are no exception.
Banana Streusel Muffins are a great way to use up leftover bananas, the riper the better. The addition of the flaxseed (also known as linseed) adds a great flavour as well as micronutrients, Omega-3 fatty acids (the good fats), dietary fiber and iron. The pecans are good for you too as they contain potassium, protein and vitamin E. The muffin itself isn’t all that sweet as the main recipe contains only half a cup of sugar but the crumbly, cinnamon sugar topping laced with finely chopped pecans really does make these Banana Streusel Muffins a treat.
The combination of a lower sugar muffin with a sweet, cinnamon spiked streusel topping makes my Banana Streusel Muffins with Flaxseed the perfect balance between naughty and nice! Perfect for breakfast, teatime or a snack, these easy to make muffins are sure to become a family favourite.
- For the streusel:
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar (Demerera (Turbinado) if possible but white sugar is fine)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup finely chopped pecans
- For the muffins:
- 3 very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- ½ cup mild olive oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche or sour cream (you can use light or low fat)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⅔ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons milled (ground) flaxseed
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- a generous pinch of salt
- ¾ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C or 160°C for a fan oven).
- Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- First, make the streusel-
- Cut the flour into the butter using a pastry blender or two knives until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the sugar and continue to cut in.
- Using a fork, stir in the cinnamon and the ¼ cup finely chopped pecans.
- Set aside.
- Now, for the muffins -
- Beat the oil and the eggs together in a medium bowl or jug.
- Beat in the vanilla and crème fraîche or sour cream.
- Stir in the mashed bananas and set aside.
- In another, larger bowl, mix together the flour, flaxseed, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ¾ cup chopped pecans.
- Add the oil and egg mixture to the flour mixture in the larger bowl and stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups. (An ice cream scoop makes this easy.)
- Sprinkle a bit of the streusel mixture over each muffin.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the muffins comes out clean. (It's a good idea to watch the muffins after 15 minutes - oven temperatures can vary so radically.)
- Cool on a wire rack. Delicious warm or at room temperature.
If you enjoyed this post you may also like Bran Muffins.