As with so many of my recipes, there’s a story behind my Crock Pot Apple and Pear Sauce. For years I made applesauce in a saucepan on the stove, the same way my late mom did, and it was delicious. Then one day about three years ago, I came across a Homemade Crock Pot Applesauce recipe on Comfy in the Kitchen, a lovely blog by Janelle Nehrenz. Not only did Janelle’s recipe make my house smell amazing while it was cooking, I’ve never had so many compliments on applesauce in my life!
My Crock Pot Apple and Pear Sauce has evolved from the recipe that Janelle shared. Autumn is definitely apple and pear season here in England. Although there is nothing like biting into a crisp apple or eating a pear with the juice dripping down your chin, there is such an abundance of apples and pears that sometimes I end up with a few more than I know what to do with. (There are only so many pies and crumbles you can eat!) This Apple and Pear Sauce is also a great way to use up fruit that is almost past its best or that is a bit rough round the edges – particularly fruit that has fallen on the ground from the tree and has rough skin.
Using pears as well as apples makes the sauce sweeter so you don’t have to use as much sugar, making my Crock Pot Apple and Pear Sauce a healthier snack. I also serve apple and pear sauce as a side dish, as a condiment on pulled pork sandwiches or slightly warmed with a generous scoop of rum and raisin ice cream for dessert. It’s also a fantastic baking ingredient, perfect in my Apple Pear and Pecan Streusel Muffins as well as any other recipe that calls for apple sauce.
The recipe is ripe for adaptation depending on what spices you enjoy. You may prefer to stay traditional and just use cinnamon. Ginger works well as a substitute especially with the pears. I’ve also been known to add just a tiny bit of almond flavouring or even a glug of Amaretto to replace part of the water. Around Christmas I like to use cinnamon, ginger and cloves for a really wonderful festive flavour. Experiment until you find your family’s favourite spice combination. Whatever flavours you choose, if you are anything like me you will find that once you have made my Apple and Pear Sauce in the crockpot, you’ll never go back to making traditional stovetop applesauce again!
- 5 to 6 apples, peeled and sliced
- 4 to 6 pears, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cloves (optional)
- ¼ cup water or apple juice (I also use apple and pear juice)
- Place the peeled and sliced apples and pears in the crock pot.
- Sprinkle with the sugar and spices.
- Pour the water or juice over top.
- Stir lightly and cover.
- Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, stirring once or twice.
- If you like your Apple and Pear Sauce very smooth, cool a little before blending with an immersion blender.
- If, like me, you like your Apple and Pear Sauce a bit chunkier, simply mash with a potato masher until the desired consistency is reached.