This Easy Salmon and Broccoli Fry is mild, delicious and perfect for a family meal. I often make stir fries for dinner – bottom of the fridge stir fries using up leftover ingredients are a favourite in our house – but this is the first stir fry I have made using fish. I was always afraid it would break up too much, but provided you add it towards the end and stir gently, it stays in lovely luscious chunks.
I was inspired by a recipe in Waitrose Weekend, a weekly free newspaper published by one of my local supermarkets in the UK. Their salmon and broccoli stir fry used frozen salmon and frozen broccoli and was very inexpensive to make. My adaptation includes a couple of extra ingredients and I used fresh fish, but depending on the price of salmon in your area, it can still be a very economical choice.
I used Basmati rice for it’s wonderful flavour and texture, but your favourite variety of rice will be absolutely fine. I was amazed at how well frozen broccoli worked in this recipe – the trick is thaw it a bit first by pouring boiling water over top – but fresh broccoli would work beautifully too.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium skinless and boneless salmon fillets
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen broccoli florets
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tablespoons low salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C or 180°C for a fan oven).
- Place a large sheet of aluminum foil on a baking sheet. Brush the foil with olive oil and lay the salmon fillets on top.
- Sprinkle the salmon fillets with salt and pepper and wrap the foil round them in a sort of parcel, sealing the top and sides.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to package directions. When it is cooked, drain and set aside.
- If using frozen broccoli, place it in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Cover the bowl and let the broccoli sit for five minutes before draining and setting aside.
- Heat the sesame oil in a frying pan or wok. When it is very hot, add onion and stir fry for about two minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add the broccoli and red pepper and stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Break the salmon up into large pieces with a fork, and add it to the broccoli and pepper with the cooked rice.
- Mix the soy sauce and honey together in a small bowl and gently fork through the stir fry.
- Allow to cook for a minute or so to heat through.
- Taste for seasoning, adding a bit of pepper if necessary.
- Serve in warmed bowls.