Do you love blackberries as much as I do? I’m super excited about these Gluten Free Blackberry and Apple Scones for a good few reasons – and my love of blackberries is just one of them. The reason I am most excited? These Gluten Free Blackberry and Apple Scones are the first gluten free baking recipe I’ve ever posted on the blog.
I know many of you follow gluten free diets, and I’ve cut back a huge amount on the quantity of gluten I consume in the last year or so. It’s brought about a lot of health benefits and helped me lose weight which has made me interested in gluten free cooking and baking in a big way!
I’m grateful to have the lovely Sandi of the Gluten Free Blog Fearless Dining as a friend. An authority on all things gluten free, Sandi specialises in fantastic gluten free baking and desserts. Sandi and I made these delicious Gluten Free Blackberry and Apple Scones in her kitchen in California and Sandi took the photographs.
Gluten Free Blackberry and Apple Scones are slightly different than traditional British scones, which are rolled and cut out in circles. I like this kind of scone because it’s what I remember growing up in Canada, and because they are so darn easy to make. No rolling pin required!
Making Gluten Free Blackberry and Apple Scones
Simply whisk together the dry ingredients, and then cut in the butter.
Add the fruit to the dry ingredients. Combine the wet ingredients in another bowl and then mix the wet and dry ingredients together as shown above.
Put the dough on some floured parchment paper and press it out into a circle about an inch and a bit high.
Finally cut the dough with a knife and then bake to golden deliciousness!
Gluten Free Blackberry and Apple Scones are perfect any time of day – from breakfast to afternoon tea – or even dessert. Serve with a cup of tea, coffee and some great conversation!
Gluten Free Blackberry and Apple Scones Recipe
- 2¼ cups Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend plus more for pressing out the dough (Please note, this flour blend has xanthan gum included. If your flour blend does not, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- generous pinch of salt
- ½ cup granulated or caster sugar
- ½ cup cold butter
- ⅓ cup peeled, grated apple
- ½ cup blackberries
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (170°C, 160° for a fan oven or Gas Mark 4).
- Put the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl and whisk together.
- Cut the butter into chunks and add to the flour mixture.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender, until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Mix the grated apples and blackberries into the flour mixture.
- In another bowl or pitcher, combine the eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Put a piece of parchment or greaseproof paper onto a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle a little flour on the parchment and place the dough on top.
- Sprinkle a little more flour on top and then press the dough into a round, flattened circle about an inch and a bit tall.
- Use a sharp knife to cut slices into the dough (as shown in the photograph).
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
- Cool completely. Then use the knife marks as a guide to cut the scones.