You will love my easy recipe for Honey Garlic and Ginger Chicken. It is so versatile! Although I often find myself serving this recipe with brown rice and stir fried vegetables, it’s also amazing with noodles or even on a toasted bun with fresh lettuce, sliced spring onions and radishes. I particularly like to serve it on a pretzel or brioche bun – so good!
Like my Chicken and Cashew Nuts and Chinese Style Beef in the Slow Cooker, this recipe is the perfect way to make your own take out. I prefer doing this as I know exactly what is in it the food I’m eating, and it’s generally healthier too. Although you do need to plan ahead, my Honey Garlic and Ginger Chicken is easy, frugal and delicious.
As well as providing a wonderful warming flavour, ginger has many health benefits. It’s also one of those spices that is reputed to stimulate your metabolism.
I use chicken breasts because my family prefer them, but you can of course make this Honey Garlic and Ginger Chicken recipe with chicken thighs.
Honey Garlic and Ginger Chicken is Good To Make Ahead
My Honey Garlic and Ginger Chicken tastes even better the day after you make it. You may just want to make it ahead and bask in the warm glow of knowing you’ve got delicious dinner options on hand in the fridge. I always enjoy that feeling. It makes meal planning so much easier!
- 1 teaspoon mild vegetable oil
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (you can also use chicken thighs)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- the juice and rind of a fresh orange
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 generous teaspoon dried basil
- a generous pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Brush the inside of the slow cooker with the oil.
- Lay the chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, orange juice and rind, ketchup, honey, ginger, garlic, basil, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the chicken, spreading evenly over all the meat.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 6 hours.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the sauce. Leave the sauce in the slow cooker.
- Shred the chicken with two forks and return it to the slow cooker to absorb even more of the sauce.
- Serve with brown rice or noodles and stir fried vegetables or on toasted rolls with a fresh lettuce and veggie garnish. I like to use shredded spring onions and radishes.
- Cool any leftovers and refrigerate.
More Slow Cooker Recipes