My Baked Cod with a Sautéed Vegetable Topping is fresh, colourful, bursting with flavour, and it’s good for you too! Fresh, delicious, lightly sautéed vegetables sit atop tender fillets of cod in my Baked Cod with Sautéed Veggies recipe. If you need a quick, easy, good for you dinner that takes very little time to prepare, you’ve come to the right place. There’s a gluten-free option too.
A Quick and Easy Recipe
Baked Cod with Sautéed Vegetable Topping is ready in about half an hour, depending on how fast you can chop the veggies. A bit of light chopping can be very therapeutic after a stressful day. Don’t rush, this is a great opportunity for a bit of mindfulness – and we don’t want any knife injuries!
While it’s cooking you can make some couscous or rice, steam some green beans, and pour some wine. That’s dinner done. Or if you have time, make some Mushroom Orzotto as I have for the photograph above.
Hints and Tips For Making Baked Cod with Sautéed Vegetables
Chop the vegetables very finely so they cook quickly.
You can substitute spring onions (scallions) for the red onion if you like. Just snip them in with scissors at the last minute, after the garlic, instead of starting with them as you do with the red onion.
Feel free to swap and change the vegetables. Don’t have courgettes? Just use all peppers instead.
Sauté the vegetables lightly. You are just softening and pre-cooking the vegetables as they will continue cooking when you put them in the oven with the fish.
Add some finely chopped fresh chilis if you like things a bit spicy.
If you want to make extra sautéed veggies when you are making the baked cod, they keep well in the fridge and are delicious with couscous, in omelettes, or in roasted veggie sandwiches.
An average cod loin will serve 2 to 3 people. If you are serving more people, just buy more cod loins and increase the amount of vegetable topping proportionately. You can also use cod fillets for this recipe.
Please bear in mind that the time the cod takes to cook will vary depending on how thick it is. Fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork and is no longer translucent.
It’s really important to buy sustainably fished seafood. If you can’t get sustainably fished cod, you can use any firm white fish for this recipe.
Is This Recipe Gluten Free?
If you serve Baked Cod with rice, gluten free noodles or potatoes, it is naturally gluten free. The recipe as picture is served with a grain.
Love Cod? You’ll love my Cod with Mushroom and Spinach Sauce Recipe!
Baked Cod with a Sautéed Veggie Topping (Gluten Free Option) – Printable Recipe
Baked Cod with a Sautéed Veggie Topping
- 2 teaspoons mild olive oil + a bit extra for greasing the baking pan
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- generous pinch of salt and a twist or two of pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- finely chopped fresh red chili to taste optional
- 1 to 2 cod loins, skinned and boned You can use 3 to 4 cod fillets instead
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC or 180°C for a fan oven).
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for a minute or two.
- Add the zucchini and red pepper and sauté until the vegetables are beginning to soften.
- Grate in the garlic and add the salt, pepper and basil.
- Add the finely chopped red chili if using.
- Cook for a couple minutes more, stirring frequently.
- Cut a large piece of aluminum foil – or two large pieces if you are cooking 4 cod fillets or 2 cod loins. You need something at least four times the size of your piece of fish. Lay the aluminum foil on a baking tray (or two trays if necessary) and brush with a little oil.
- Lay the fish on top of the aluminum foil and gently pile the cooked vegetables on top.
- Wrap the foil over the fish, making a parcel and sealing the top and sides.
- Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit in the foil for about five minutes to rest.
- Carefully open the foil packet.
- To serve cod loins, cut into 4 serving size pieces. If you serve the Baked Cod with Vegetable Topping with rice, gluten free noodles or potatoes, it is naturally gluten free.
More Easy Fish Recipes