Banana Gingerbread Loaf is one of my favourite loaf cakes. It’s easy to make, deliciously spiced and keeps really well too.
I first blogged this recipe back in 2013 and I’m bringing it back because it’s just so darn good. I love all things gingerbread – from Gingerbread Muffins to Gingerbread Cookies – and this Banana Gingerbread Loaf is one of my favourite cold weather treats.
I love Banana Gingerbread Loaf just slightly warm from the oven but I like it equally well a few days later when it has had a chance to sit for a while. The loaf keeps beautifully at room temperature for several days and the flavours deepen as it waits for you to enjoy it – that is, if you can leave it alone!
Need a special dessert? Banana Gingerbread Loaf is also lovely sliced and served with good vanilla ice cream. Sprinkle the ice cream with a bit of ginger for garnish and you’ve got a dessert pretty enough to be served at a dinner party.
Hints for Making Banana Gingerbread Loaf
Adding banana to gingerbread gives an extra special depth of flavour and makes this recipe beautifully moist. The spices are really well balanced and make the house smell amazing while the loaf is baking.
Buttermilk gives my Banana Gingerbread Loaf a lovely tang but don’t run out in the cold just to get it. You can always measure ordinary milk out ahead of time and just add a teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice. Let it sit at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes and you are good to go.
Banana Gingerbread Loaf is fine served plain but I love to enhance it with an easy Ginger Glaze. It just kind of elevates the loaf from lovely to sublime. Make sure the loaf is totally cool before you glaze it though.
Easy to make, totally tasty and a great loaf for keeping, my Banana Gingerbread Loaf is likely to become one of your favourite bakes. It certainly is one of mine!
Banana Gingerbread Loaf Printable Recipe
Banana Gingerbread Loaf
- 2 large ripe bananas mashed
- ½ cup molasses
- ½ cup brown sugar lightly packed
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ¼ cup mild olive oil
- 2 cups all purpose plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- For the glaze
- ½ cup icing sugar confectioner’s sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons water
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease and flour or line a 8½ by 4½ inch (2 lb) loaf pan.
- Peel and mash the bananas in a medium bowl.
- Stir the molasses, sugar, buttermilk, egg and olive oil into the mashed banana. Set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, ground cloves and nutmeg together into a large bowl.
- Stir in the banana mixture until thoroughly combined, but do not over-mix.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for about 15 minutes and then carefully remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze:
- Sift together the icing sugar and the ginger.
- Gradually add the water, a bit at a time, until a creamy, drizzle-able consistency is reached.
- Place a sheet of baking parchment or waxed paper underneath the wire rack with the cooled cake on it.
- Drizzle the glaze over top of the cake.
- Allow the glaze to set for at least a half hour before slicing.
- Store your Banana Gingerbread Loaf in a sealed container at room temperature.