There’s a story behind this dish. One of the most popular recipes on this website is my Beef Stroganoff. The mild spicing and warming flavours make it a deliciously comforting meal perfect for entertaining. Recently I was thinking about how to make the recipe a bit more kid friendly and frugal and after a few experiments I came up with the idea for Beef Stroganoff Macaroni. The resulting recipe reminds me a little bit of a packaged Hamburger Helper variety I had when I was a kid – except it tastes better and of course it’s homemade!
Beef Stroganoff Macaroni Tips
Beef Stroganoff Macaroni is a deliciously easy meal for busy weeknights but it’s equally good for entertaining. It’s best served hot straight from the pan but if timing becomes an issue you can transfer the mixture to a casserole pan, cover it and keep it warm in a low oven. I like to serve Beef Stroganoff Macaroni with broccoli or a green salad. It’s also delicious with hot rolls or French bread if you are feeling indulgent and don’t mind the carb overload.
The recipe is pretty flexible and can be adjusted to taste. You can use low or half fat sour cream or crème fraîche if you prefer. The dish becomes slightly less creamy but the difference is barely noticeable. Be brave with the mustard. Dijon is mild enough to give a lovely understated flavour. If you are feeling nervous just use two teaspoons instead of three, but promise me you will taste it before serving and add the third spoonful if you agree with me! And don’t leave out the nutmeg. It’s the secret ingredient that adds a wonderful je ne sais quoi to this easy dish.
Beef Stroganoff Macaroni – Printable Recipe
Beef Stroganoff Macaroni
- 1 tablespoon mild olive oil
- 1 mild or red onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1½ cups sliced white mushrooms
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated if possible
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups uncooked macaroni
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil.
- Sauté the onions until they just begin to soften, adding a pinch of salt to prevent them browning.
- Add the ground beef, stirring and breaking up into small pieces.
- Cook, stirring almost constantly, until the meat is almost browned.
- Stir in the mushrooms and continue to cook until the meat is fully browned and the mushrooms have softened a bit.
- Meanwhile, cook the macaroni in boiling salted water according to package directions.
- Stir the beef stock into the meat mixture in the frying pan.
- Add the mustard, paprika and some freshly ground pepper (to taste).
- Stir together well and let the mixture bubble away for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crème fraîche or sour cream and heat the mixture through.
- Stir in the nutmeg.
- Drain the macaroni and add it to the beef mixture in the frying pan.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve on warmed plates or bowls.
More Easy Dinner Recipes