Bored with Avocado Toast? You haven’t tasted mine!
It’s easy to dismiss avocado toast as a bit of an Instagram phenomenon. There are millions of posts with the #avocadotoast hastag – but there is a real difference between crushed avocado on toast and my Best Avocado Toast recipe.
It’s also a shame to miss out on something really delicious that’s good for you too! In this recipe, cool, creamy avocado is spiked with herbs and chilis to give it an extra special flavour. Perfect for any time of day, this has become a real go-to meal for my husband and I. We love it just as it is, or topped with fried or (my favourite) freshly poached eggs. My husband likes it topped with smoked salmon (either with or without the egg) as well.
One evening a few years ago, we were served Avocado Toast as a starter at a local pub. Thick slices of lightly toasted sourdough were heaped with the most flavourful avocado mixture I had ever tasted, and topped with sprigs of basil. When I asked the chef what his secrets were, he gave me three pointers:-
The Secrets to The Recipe
- Use really good, fresh avocado
- Make sure the basil is fresh (although in a pinch I’ve used dried)
- Don’t forget the finely chopped red chilis
Bearing all that in mind, I started my quest to replicate his recipe. It took a while, but I definitely got there.
Why Avocado Toast?
When it comes to healthy eating, there really is more to avocado than meets the eye. Replacing equal amounts of butter with this nutritional powerhouse means you consume nearly 75% less calories. Two tablespoons of avocado weigh in with 50 calories. Two tablespoons of butter contains over 200 calories. And with a 3.5 ounce serving of butter weighing in with nearly 81 grams of fat, avocado has a far leaner fat content at around 14 grams.
Avocado has definitely been a part of the Healthy Eating Plan that has helped me lose weight and feel better than ever.
My Best Avocado Toast recipe is also seriously versatile. Think beyond breakfast and brunch! Make healthier canapés by spreading the mixture on sliced wholewheat sandwich bread cut into triangles. Top with smoked salmon, a slice of cucumber, a little bit of crab or a piece of shrimp to dress it up a bit. Thickly sliced lightly toasted sourdough bread is the perfect vehicle to turn this brunch classic into a starter or appetizer.
Don’t miss this easy recipe. It takes Avocado Toast from everyday to extraordinary!
My Best Avocado Toast – Printable Recipe
Best Avocado Toast Recipe
- 1 large ripe avocado
- a few leaves of fresh basil or a generous pinch of dried basil
- ½ teaspoon chopped red chilis Use more or less, according to taste
- a generous pinch of celery salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 slices of fresh bread
- Toast the bread.
- Meanwhile, slice the avocado in half and scoop out the flesh. Discard the skin and the pit.
- Place the avocado in a medium bowl and crush lightly with a fork.
- Slice the basil thinly using the chiffonade technique (unless you are using dried). To do this, stack the leaves, roll them lengthwise into a tight cylinder and then slice thinly on the diagonal.
- Add most of the basil, chopped chilis, celery salt and freshly ground pepper pepper and stir into the avocado using the fork.
- Spread the avocado mixture on the toast.
- Garnish with the remaining basil and serve.