It’s easy to dismiss avocado toast as a bit of an Instagram phenomenon. At the moment there’s over a million posts with the #avocadotoast hastag – but there is a real difference between avocado toast that is simply crushed avocado on toast and my Best Avocado Toast recipe.
For my Best Avocado Toast recipe, cool, creamy avocado is spiked with herbs and chilis to give it an extra special flavour. Perfect for breakfast or lunch, my Best Avocado Toast recipe has become a real go-to meal for my husband and I. We love it as it is, or topped with freshly poached eggs. My husband likes it topped with smoked salmon as well.
My Best Avocado Toast is versatile too. Make it on sliced wholewheat sandwich bread and you can cut the avocado toast into triangles to serve as a healthier canapé at your next cocktail party or buffet. Or use thickly sliced toasted sourdough bread and serve my Best Avocado Toast as an appetizer. That was how I first began to explore this recipe – when I had Avocado Toast as a starter at a local pub.
The Secret to My Best Avocado Toast Recipe
We were served gorgeous slices of sourdough toast practically heaped with the most flavourful avocado I had ever tasted, and topped with sprigs of basil. When I asked the chef what his secret was, he said three things:-
- Really good, fresh avocado
- Fresh basil (although in a pinch I’ve used dried)
- Finely chopped red chilis
Bearing all that in mind, I started my quest to replicate his recipe. It took a while, but in my opinion, I have got pretty darn close.
Why Avocado Toast?
When it comes to healthy eating, there really is more to avocado than meets the eye. Replacing equal amounts of butter with this nutritional powerhouse means you consume nearly 75% less calories. Two tablespoons of avocado weigh in with 50 calories. Two tablespoons of butter contains over 200 calories. And with a 3.5 ounce serving of butter weighing in with nearly 81 grams of fat, avocado has a far leaner fat content at around 14 grams.
Avocado has definitely been a part of the Healthy Eating Plan that has helped me lose weight and feel better than ever.
So for those of you who thought you didn’t need another avocado toast recipe, I promise you, you do. It’s this one – my Best Avocado Toast.
My Best Avocado Toast – Printable Recipe
Best Avocado Toast Recipe
- 1 large ripe avocado
- a few leaves of fresh basil or a generous pinch of dried basil
- ½ teaspoon chopped red chilis or to taste
- a generous pinch of celery salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 slices of fresh bread
- Toast the bread.
- Meanwhile, slice the avocado in half and scoop out the flesh. Discard the skin and the pit.
- Place the avocado in a medium bowl and crush lightly with a fork.
- Slice the basil thinly using the chiffonade technique (unless you are using dried). To do this, stack the leaves, roll them lengthwise into a tight cylinder and then slice thinly on the diagonal.
- Add most of the basil, chopped chilis, celery salt and freshly ground pepper pepper and stir into the avocado using the fork.
- Spread the avocado mixture on the toast.
- Garnish with the remaining basil and serve.