You know those nights when everyone in the house is tired and hungry – including you – and you have no idea what to cook? My Easy Chicken Noodle One Pot is perfect for those nights! The recipe takes about 30 minutes to put together and there’s only one pan to wash at the end of it. You probably have all the ingredients on hand right now too!
My Chicken Noodle One Pot is rich, creamy and delicious but as the sauce is made with milk rather than cream it’s better for you. You can even use half fat or 2% milk if you want to reduce the calories even further. Change up the veggies depending on what you have on hand. It also doesn’t matter what shape of pasta you use. Penne or fusilli are my favourites but honestly, it makes absolutely no difference to how the recipe turns out. Tri-colour pasta can make for a very colourful dish and it adds nutrition too.
It’s as easy as browning up some chicken, onions and mushrooms
and then gradually adding the rest of the ingredients and allowing everything to simmer together.
Chicken Noodle One Pot is perfect for last minutes suppers but it’s tasty enough for entertaining as well. Served with a crisp green salad and/or some crusty bread, it doesn’t get much more comforting than this!
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or other mild vegetable oil)
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup boiling water, cooled a bit
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 cups uncooked pasta shapes
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables OR 1½ cups frozen peas and/or corn
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or stove top safe casserole over medium heat.
- Cut the chicken into roughly 1 inch (2.5 centimetre) cubes.
- Cook the onion in the hot oil over medium heat until it begins to soften.
- Stir in the chicken pieces and cook until they begin to take on a bit of colour.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until they begin to take on a a bit of colour too.
- Sprinkle the chicken, onions and mushrooms with the flour, stir in and cook for one minute.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring after each addition, until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Grate the garlic into the pan and stir in the mustard, basil, oregano, salt and pepper followed by the pasta.
- Stir in the boiling water.
- Return the mixture to the boil and then allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen vegetables.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes more or until the pasta is al dente.
- Stir thoroughly and serve.
Shared with Full Plate Thursday, Simple Supper Tuesday, Treasure Box Tuesday, What’d You Do This Weekend?
If you enjoyed this recipe you may also like