You know those nights when everyone in the house is tired and hungry – including you – and you have no idea what to cook? My Easy Chicken Noodle One Pot is perfect for those nights! The recipe takes about 30 minutes to put together and there’s only one pan to wash at the end of it. You probably have all the ingredients on hand right now too!
My Chicken Noodle One Pot is rich, creamy and delicious but as the sauce is made with milk rather than cream it’s better for you. You can even use half fat or 2% milk if you want to reduce the calories even further. Change up the veggies depending on what you have on hand. It also doesn’t matter what shape of pasta you use. Penne or fusilli are my favourites but honestly, it makes absolutely no difference to how the recipe turns out. Tri-colour pasta can make for a very colourful dish and it adds nutrition too.
It’s as easy as browning up some chicken, onions and mushrooms
and then gradually adding the rest of the ingredients and allowing everything to simmer together.
Chicken Noodle One Pot is perfect for last minutes suppers but it’s tasty enough for entertaining as well. Served with a crisp green salad and/or some crusty bread, it doesn’t get much more comforting than this!
Chicken Noodle One Pot
- 3 boneless skinless, chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons mild olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cups penne or fusilli pasta
- 1 cup frozen peas or frozen mixed vegetables
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Cut chicken in 1 inch cubes.
- Sauté the onion until it begins to soften.
- Add the chicken and cook until it begins to take on a bit of colour.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the flour and cook for a minute.
- Add the milk, a bit at a time, cooing and stirring until the sauce comes to the boil.
- When the sauce begins to thicken, stir in the mustard, 1 cup of boiling water and the pasta.
- Let the pasta cook in the sauce on a low boil for about ten minutes.
- Add the frozen vegetables and cook for four to five minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
- Serve in warmed bowls.
If you enjoyed this recipe you may also like