I love quick and easy meals for busy nights. My Chicken Stroganoff Pasta Bake is a an easy, family friendly twist on Beef Stroganoff that everyone will love. It’s also a delicious way to use up leftover roast chicken.
The rich, creamy sauce for my Chicken Stroganoff Pasta Bake couldn’t be easier to make. You simply stir a couple tablespoons of flour into some half fat crème fraîche or light sour cream and then stir the mixture into the vegetables and stock in the frying pan.
What is Crème Fraîche?
You can, of course, use full fat crème fraîche or ordinary sour cream if you prefer. By the way, although crème fraîche and sour cream are not exactly the same thing, I use them interchangeably in baking and savoury recipes. Sour cream has a slightly sharper flavour as it is ripened for longer than crème fraîche and is also slightly less thick, but I find they perform in exactly the same way. The mildness of crème fraîche does make it more kid-friendly.
Speaking of kids, you can use whatever pasta shapes you like for Chicken Stroganoff Pasta Bake. As we are all grown ups in our house, I tend to favour lasagnetti. Lasagnetti are cute mini rectangular lasagna sheets about an inch or so in length.
Quick and Easy Shortcut
One more thing, I’m always looking for kitchen shortcuts to help on busy nights. My latest favourite? Very Lazy Chopped Garlic is peeled, finely chopped garlic preserved in white vinegar. The vinegar cooks off the minute you add the Very Lazy Garlic to anything and leaves no aftertaste whatsoever. There’s no peeling and no chopping, I just open the jar and add one teaspoon of Very Lazy Garlic for each clove of garlic that is called for. They don’t call it Very Lazy Garlic for nothing!
Chicken Stroganoff Pasta Bake is delicious served with simply a salad or some warmed bread or rolls. It’s also great for potlucks and buffets.
Chicken Stroganoff Pasta Bake – Printable Recipe
- 400 grams (about 14 ounces) pasta shapes (I like lasagnetti but use your favourite.)
- 1 tablespoon mild vegetable oil (olive or coconut)
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- I red pepper, de-seeded and chopped in small pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or 2 teaspoons Very Lazy Garlic
- 1½ cups chicken stock or broth
- generous pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 heaped teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1¼ cups half fat creme fraiche or light sour cream (you can use full fat or regular if you prefer)
- 2 cups cubed chicken breast
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated if possible.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Saute the onions, mushrooms and red pepper until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for a moment or two.
- Stir in the chicken stock, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Bring just to the boil, stirring almost constantly, then reduce the heat and simmer with the lid off for five to ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C or 160°C for a fan oven).
- Combine the flour and crème fraîche in a small bowl, mixing until smooth.
- Stir the flour and crème fraîche mixture into the ingredients in the frying pan.
- Bring the mixture in the frying pan just to the boil once again, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir for a moment or two until thickened.
- Stir in the cooked chicken pieces.
- Drain the pasta and transfer to a large casserole dish.
- Grate the nutmeg into the chicken sauce in the frying pan.
- Taste the sauce for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta in the casserole dish and stir gently to combine.
- Cover the dish with foil or an oven-safe lid and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- I like to serve this family style from the centre of the table. Be careful, the dish will be hot!
More Stroganoff Recipes
More Chicken Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains an affiliate link. Full Disclosure Policy.