Deep, rich chocolate flavour combines with sweet cherries in this delightfully decadent Chocolate Cherry Loaf Cake Recipe.
Chocolate and cherries are natural foodie friends. There’s just something magical about the deep, rich flavour of the chocolate and how it contrasts with the sweet cherries. My Chocolate Cherry Loaf Cake recipe is a celebration of this enduring partnership, a moist and delicious loaf, perfect for just about any occasion.
How My Chocolate Cherry Loaf Cake Recipe Came About
After I shared my Cherry Loaf Cake recipe, I got to thinking about other recipes I could make with all the wonderful late summer cherries we’ve bought from our local farm shop and farmer’s markets. Suddenly that classic dessert from the 1980’s, Black Forest Cake – or Black Forest Gateau as it was known over here in the UK – popped into my mind.
Black Forest Cake was a cherry studded chocolate cake with a rich frosting and lots of cream and there was generally some sort of cherry syrup as well. Tooth achingly sweet, it was a real restaurant classic. While Black Forest Cake has fallen out of fashion in recent years, nothing beats that wonderful chocolate cherry flavour combination. With my Cherry Loaf Cake in mind, I suddenly knew just what recipe I wanted to make next!
My Chocolate Cherry Loaf Cake recipe is so easy to make. You can see just how easy in this step by step video! I’ve lost a bit of weight since I shot this video last year, but I still enjoy a slice of this yummy cake as a treat!
Chocolate Cherry Loaf Cake Video
The batter is enriched with yogurt, making it moist but with a delicious tang. It’s sweet, but not overly sweet, so it is perfect any time of day. I even had a sneaky piece for breakfast one morning. I love serving Chocolate Cherry Loaf Cake with a hot, steaming cup of coffee.
My Chocolate Cherry Loaf Cake recipe is real comfort food. I like to keep the cake in one of those lovely domed cake stands on the kitchen counter so folks can just come in and help themselves to a slice whenever they want to. It keeps really well and is great to have on hand for unexpected guests.
Chocolate Cherry Loaf Cake Printable Recipe
Chocolate Cherry Loaf Cake Recipe
- a bit of butter for greasing the loaf pan
- 1¼ cups + 1 teaspoon all purpose plain flour
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup granulated or caster sugar
- 1 cup cherry yogurt
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup mild vegetable oil I use mild olive oil - not extra-virgin
- 1 cup cherries
- For the glaze
- 1 cup icing sugar confectioner's sugar
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- about 1 tablespoon water
- a drop of pink food colouring optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C or 165° for fan ovens, Gas Mark 4).
- Grease a 2 lb (8½ x 4¼ x 2½ inch) loaf pan with some butter.
- Remove the pits from the cherries and cut each one in half.
- Put the cherries in a small bowl, sprinkle the 1 teaspoon flour over top and toss gently.
- Sift the 1¼ cups flour, the cocoa, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Set the dry ingredients aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, eggs, vanilla and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat with a wooden spoon until all the flour is mixed in and the batter is smooth.
- Gently fold in the flour-coated cherries.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 20 minutes before removing the cake and placing it on a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cake is cold, prepare the glaze (if using) by putting the icing sugar in a small bowl and whisking in the maraschino cherry juice.
- Gradually whisk in the water, a bit at a time, until a smooth, drizzle-able consistency is reached.
- Whisk in the food colouring, if using.
- Place a piece of parchment or waxed paper underneath the rack the cake is sitting on and drizzle the glaze over the cake.
- Allow the glaze to set for at least half an hour before slicing.
More Delicious Loaf Cake Recipes