If you love a moist, streusel topped muffin, my Cinnamon Streusel Yogurt Muffins are perfect for you! I often use yogurt in baking – from my Lemon Ginger Cake and Mini Bundts to my Apple Butterscotch Cake. In a similar way to buttermilk, yogurt gives baked goods a lovely moist texture and a really tasty tang. It also makes them better for you.
In this recipe, my Cinnamon Streusel Yogurt Muffins are enhanced by an Apple and Butterscotch Yogurt. However the beauty of this recipe is that you can use any flavour yogurt you like to make these muffins your own. The cinnamon oat streusel topping compliments almost every yogurt flavour I can think of and in my experience works well with blueberry, strawberry, rhubarb and peach flavours as well. It’s a fantastic way to use up yogurt that is close to its ‘best before’ date.
These lovely Cinnamon Streusel Yogurt Muffins are perfect for breakfast, as an after school snack or tea time treat. The recipe is easy and it’s the work of moments. In fact, Cinnamon Streusel Yogurt Muffins are fun to make with your kids as the recipe is so quick to put together and bakes in only 15 to 20 minutes.
In my opinion, Cinnamon Streusel Yogurt Muffins are best served warm, however my son prefers them at room temperature. They will keep for up to 3 days in a sealed container and reheat beautifully.
Cinnamon Streusel Yogurt Muffins – Printable Recipe
Cinnamon Streusel Yogurt Muffins
- 2 tablespoons cold butter cut in squares
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons Demerera turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup granulated or caster sugar
- ⅔ cup Apple Butterscotch yogurt or any flavour of your choice
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup mild olive or other vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C or 165°C for a fan oven).
- Grease or line a 12 cup muffin pan.
- Make the streusel by cutting the butter into the flour using a pastry cutter or two knives (or a food processor).
- Stir in the sugar, cinnamon and rolled oats. Set aside.
- For the yogurt muffins - Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Whisk the yogurt, eggs and oil together in a smaller bowl.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the dry ingredients all at once.
- Stir together until just combined. Do not beat.
- Divide the mixture between twelve muffin cups.
- Sprinkle with the streusel mixture.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
- The muffins will keep in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
I have not been compensated for this post.