Crab Linguine is a classic pasta dish and perfect for this time of year when crab is in season. My version of this recipe is incredibly easy and takes only minutes to throw together.
I use crab meat that has already been cooked and separated. Preparing crab can be quite a long, drawn out process and frankly I can’t face the idea of cooking a live crab. I can buy fresh crab meat quite easily in my local grocery store but you can use frozen for this recipe if fresh is not available locally. Just thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and make sure it is nicely shredded and separated. Many people use both white and brown crab meat for Crab Linguine but I am not a fan of brown crab meat so I use only the white. Luckily I can buy it separately so there is absolutely no waste.
Traditionally this dish can be quite spicy but I prefer to let the delicious flavour of the crab shine through, simply enhanced with fresh garlic, lemon, flat leaf parsley and just a hint of chili and pepper. By all means use more chili if it is to your taste. As with so many recipes that have only a few ingredients, quality is key. Use good olive oil, fresh lemon juice and fresh flat leaf parsley. I don’t recommend the use of the more common curly leaved parsley for this recipe as the flavour is just too intense. Flat leaf parsley is definitely the way to go.
One of my go-to recipes for date night with my husband, this makes enough to serve two generously. However if you aren’t enjoying dinner for two it’s very easily doubled or even tripled. My Crab Linguine needs very little accompaniment other than perhaps a glass of chilled white wine. However if you are very hungry – or an unexpected dinner guest has arrived – by all means serve some warm crusty bread alongside.
- 6 ounces linguine
- 4 tablespoons good mild olive oil, divided
- 2 leeks, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed or 1 teaspoon Very Lazy Garlic
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 ounces cooked white crab meat, flaked
- ¼ teaspoon finely chopped fresh red chili
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- freshly ground pepper
- Cook the linguine in boiling salted water according to package directions.
- Meanwhile heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Sauté the leeks just until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and continue to sauté for a minute or two, stirring almost constantly.
- Pour the lemon juice over and toss in the lemon rind.
- Stir and cook for a moment or two.
- Add the crab meat and chili along with a twist or two of freshly ground pepper.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the saucepan.
- Stir in the crab 'sauce' and drizzle the linguine with the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Toss through until well mixed.
- Serve immediately in warmed bowls garnished with the parsley.
If you enjoyed this, don’t miss my Seafood Spaghetti Parmesan.
Shared with See Ya in the Gumbo