My Easy Crab Pate is a versatile, go-to starter or appetizer, an easy lunch, the perfect canapé topper and a great entertaining all rounder.
To be fair, this recipe isn’t actually a paté, but it acts like one. You can serve it as a salad if you prefer – and when I do that I often add some of those lovely baby pasta shells cooked just to al dente along with a bit more mayonnaise. Or pile it on a piece of baguette, top with a nice slice of Swiss cheese and broil it until bubbly for amazing crab melts. Seriously there isn’t much you can’t do with my Easy Crab Paté from a culinary point of view.
Crab Pate Canapés
For canapés, just put small spoonfuls of this lovely paté on slices of cucumber or crackers. You can top them with a sprig or parsley or a thin slice of olive if you like. Or use my Easy Crab Paté to fill those ready prepared canapé shells you can buy in your local delicatessen. It also works really well in patty shells. The possibilities are pretty much endless.
An Old Family Recipe
I’ve based this on my late mom’s recipe for a seafood pasta salad. It always tasted amazing and I figured her seasonings would work well with crab too. I was right! It always makes me happy to be able to use one of mom’s recipes. I just wish I could tell her about it!
Easy Crab Pate Hints and Tips
Our local grocery store stocks packages of ready prepared crabmeat year round so I always keep them on hand in the refrigerator. If you are not as lucky as I am, a good fish seller (or fishmonger as we call them here in the UK) can always prepare some fresh crab meat for you. You can also use the crab meat you can buy in cans – just be sure it is all white meat. It isn’t quite the same as fresh but it is a tasty, frugal alternative.
Easy Crab Pate – Printable Recipe
Easy Crab Pate
- ¾ cup white crabmeat, drained if from a can
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- generous squeeze of lemon
- salt and pepper
- 2 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise I use Hellman's Extra Light
- parsley, paprika or any other garnishes you like
- Put the crabmeat, celery and red pepper in a bowl.
- Add the Dijon mustard, lemon, a good pinch of salt and a grinding of black pepper.
- Stir lightly together.
- Add the mayonnaise, a bit at a time, just until the mixture clings together nicely.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve as desired as a paté, in canapés, salads and sandwiches garnished with a bit of parsley or paprika if liked.
You can make my Easy Crab Paté a few hours ahead of time and assemble your dish or canapés at the last minute, making entertaining (almost) stress free. However you choose to serve my Easy Crab Pate, you’ll be delighted by the compliments you receive!