You will love my easy recipe for Honey Garlic and Ginger Chicken. It is so versatile! Although I often find myself serving this recipe with brown rice and stir fried vegetables, it’s also amazing with noodles or even on a toasted bun with fresh lettuce, sliced spring onions and radishes. I particularly like to serve it on a pretzel or brioche bun – what a treat!
Like my Chicken and Cashew Nuts and Chinese Style Beef in the Slow Cooker, this recipe is the perfect way to make your own take out. I prefer doing this as I know exactly what is in it the food I’m eating, and it’s generally healthier too. Although you do need to plan ahead, my Honey Garlic and Ginger Chicken is easy, frugal and delicious.
A Family Friendly Recipe
This recipe is full of flavour but it isn’t too spicy, making it perfect for the whole family. As well as making the recipe taste great, ginger has many health benefits. It’s also one of those spices that is reputed to stimulate your metabolism.
I use chicken breasts because my family prefer them, but you can of course make this Honey Garlic and Ginger Chicken recipe with skinless and boneless chicken thighs.
Honey Garlic and Ginger Chicken is Good To Make Ahead
My Honey Garlic and Ginger Chicken tastes even better the day after you make it. You may just want to make it ahead and bask in the warm glow of knowing you’ve got delicious dinner options on hand in the fridge. If you are serving less than 6 people on the day you make the recipe (and the recipe serves 6 generously, especially if you serve it with vegetables), cool and refrigerate the leftovers to serve the next day. I often serve the recipe with noodles or rice and vegetables the first night, and then serve the leftovers on toasted buns with your favourite toppings the next day.
Is Honey Garlic and Ginger Chicken Gluten Free?
If you use tamari instead of soy sauce and serve it with rice, gluten free noodles or on a gluten free bun, the recipe can be gluten free.
Honey Garlic Chicken in the Slow Cooker
- 1 teaspoon mild vegetable oil
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts You can also use 8 to 10 skinless, boneless chicken thighs.
- ½ cup soy sauce Use tamari instead to make the recipe gluten free.
- the juice and rind of a fresh orange
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 inch fresh ginger root, peeled and finely grated
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Brush the inside of the slow cooker with the oil.
- Lay the chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, orange juice and rind, ketchup, honey, ginger, garlic, basil, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the chicken, spreading evenly over all the meat.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 6 hours.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the sauce. Leave the sauce in the slow cooker.
- Shred the chicken with two forks and return it to the slow cooker to absorb even more of the sauce.
- Serve with brown rice or noodles and stir fried vegetables or on toasted rolls with a fresh lettuce and veggie garnish. I like to use shredded spring onions and radishes.
- Cool any leftovers and refrigerate.