Looking for a fresh, easy, and delicious supper that doesn’t take a long time to make? My One Pan Salmon and Roasted Mediterranean Vegetables is a deliciously spiced meal that is chock full of healthy ingredients. Oh, and did I mention it tastes amazing?
You won’t believe how easy my One Pan Salmon and Roasted Mediterranean Vegetables is! Aside from a little light chopping, this meal is pretty much effort free. And with only one pan to clean up, it’s the perfect way to stick to a healthy eating plan on busy weeknights.
A Mildly Spiced Dish Perfect for All the Family
Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines do overlap quite a lot, although the flavourings can be quite different. While the vegetables in this recipe are Mediterranean, the spicing is more Middle Eastern.
I love harissa, a warming spice paste originating from Tunisia. It is very popular in North Africa and the Middle East. Spicy, with a warm cumin hit, it is strong and pungent, so you don’t need much to get an amazing depth of flavour. Of course, you can adjust how much harissa you use, depending on your family’s tastes. The teaspoon I call for in the recipe is quite spicy, so do add less (or more) if your family’s spice tolerance is different to ours.
When I’m using a spice blend for the first time, I always add a little to start, taste and add more if necessary. It’s hard to take flavour away! Not a fan of harissa or spice? Use a few tablespoons of your favourite kind of pesto instead, and cut the oil back to 1 tablespoon.
This recipe has lots of good for you ingredients, including my new favourite, chickpeas. I’ve been using chickpeas (also known as Garbanzo beans) in more and more recipes. They are high in nutrients and fibre so they keep you fuller for longer. They are also high in isoflavones, a type of phytoestrogen, or plant estrogens (also know as oestrogens). Whether it’s PMT, perimenopause or menopause, it is widely believed that phytoestrogens can help relieve the symptoms by mimicking the action of estrogens in our bodies.
Easy One Pan Salmon and Roasted Mediterranean Vegetables
One Pan Salmon with Roasted Mediterranean Vegetables is so easy, it’s a great dish to make together with your older children. Once you have chopped the vegetables, all you have to do is toss them with the oil and spice and pop them in the oven to roast.
Once the veggies have started to take on a bit of colour, you can add the salmon to the pan.
Top the salmon with the remaining oil and spice, and pop everything in the oven until the salmon is cooked. It’s that simple!
(Please note, the recipe in the photographs is made for two as my husband and I were the day I made this recipe to photograph. I hate wasting food! The printed recipe serves four.)
Once everything is cooked, all you have to do is serve the One Pan Salmon with Roasted Mediterranean Vegetables. Garnish with parsley, pour yourself a glass of white wine, and enjoy!
- I red onion, peeled, halved, and cut in 1 inch chunks
- 2 medium zucchini (courgettes), cut in 1 inch chunks and then half moons
- 2 sweet red peppers, de-seeded and cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 can chickpeas (about 14 ounces or 400 grams), drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons mild olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Harissa or to taste
- 4 salmon fillets or use a side of salmon, preferably skinless and boneless
- chopped flat leaf parsley to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C or 180°C for fan ovens).
- Arrange the onion, zucchini, red peppers and chickpeas on a baking sheet/sheet pan.
- Mix the oil and the Harissa together.
- Toss three quarters of the oil and spice mixture with the vegetables.
- Spread the vegetables evenly on the baking sheet and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and toss the vegetables again with a spatula.
- Nestle the salmon fillets or side of salmon amongst the vegetables.
- Brush the salmon with the remaining oil and spice mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes for salmon fillets or 15 to 18 minutes for a side of salmon, until the salmon is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork.
- Serve garnished with flat leaf parsley.