I love ginger-spiced treats – and if you love ginger too, you will love these Orange Gingerbread Crinkle Cookies! Bite into one of these delicious treats, and be delighted as the sugar crusted coating gives way to a tender cookie beneath. These soft, chewy cookies have a deep gingerbread flavour highlighted with a hint of orange that makes them absolutely irresistible.
Whether it’s Banana Gingerbread with Ginger Icing, Pumpkin Gingerbread Muffins or even my Triple Ginger Pound Cake, I always enjoy a piece of something gingery as a treat with a cup of tea or coffee – especially these Orange Gingerbread Crinkle Cookies! They are by far the favourite cookie around our house at Christmas, although I generally start making them about October and don’t stop until the early days of spring.
I’ve been making these Orange Gingerbread Crinkle Cookies for over ten years now. My husband takes them to work, my son shares them with friends and I’m often asked to bring them to holiday parties. They are perfect with a glass of milk or a hot drink. Some folks even like them with a wee nip of whiskey!
Orange Gingerbread Crinkle Cookies – Top Tips For Making These Yummy Treats
Orange Gingerbread Crinkle Cookies really are very easy to make, and you’d be amazed how quickly the dough rolls up into little balls. I timed myself this year, and it only takes 7 minutes per batch! Do leave time for the dough to chill before rolling if you can though. It’s so much easier if you do! Also, be sure not to over-bake the cookies. If you do they will get too crunchy. It’s not a disaster, but I really think they are nicer with softer centres.
One of the things I love about these yummy cookies is how well they keep in a sealed container at room temperature. You can definitely make them a few days ahead of time. However they also taste really nice warm from the oven! They make the house smell amazing while they are baking too.
Easy to make and even easier to eat, these Orange Gingerbread Crinkle Cookies are seriously addictive and are sure to become a family favourite round your house too!
Orange Gingerbread Crinkle Cookies – Printable Recipe
Orange Gingerbread Cookies
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar this is for rolling the cookies in before baking
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 egg
- the grated rind of one orange
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cream the butter, brown sugar and ½ cup white sugar together in an electric mixer.
- Beat in the molasses and the egg and then add the orange rind.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt together and then stir into the wet ingredients. Blend thoroughly but don't over-mix.
- Put the ¼ cup white sugar in a small open bowl.
- Roll the cookie mixture into small balls and roll each ball in the sugar.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets, leaving a bit of space between each cookie for them to spread just a bit.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Be careful not to overcook or the cookies will become very crisp.
- Cookies will keep in an airtight container for 4 or 5 days.