My Salmon and Broccoli Stir Fry recipe makes healthy eating easy and oh so delicious! Fresh salmon combines with crisp broccoli and red pepper on a bed of brown rice, making this a rice bowl with a difference.
Salmon and Broccoli Stir Fry – Nutrient Dense and Delicious
These days I’m all about nutritious meals that are still delicious and comforting like this one.
Salmon is nutritionally very dense. An oily fish, it contains omega-3 fatty acids as well as high quality protein vitamins and minerals. Broccoli is a good source of vitamin C, calcium and folic acid, and red pepper is full of vitamins and anti-oxidants. If you use brown rice, you also get magnesium, selenium and more B vitamins. This is a seriously healthy bowl of goodness!
I first made this salmon and broccoli stir fry over 7 years ago and it has become a real family favourite. There’s just something about eating something this tasty from a bowl you can hold on your lap. Even some of the fish-phobic kids I know love it.
Love fish and seafood as much as I do? Check out these easy seafood recipes!
Cooking Fish is Easy
I used to be so intimated about cooking fish, but honestly, there’s nothing to it. You can poach the salmon for Salmon and Broccoli Stir Fry or bake it as described in the recipe below. Knowing when salmon is cooked is very straight-forward. The Atlantic Canada Fish Farmers Association says “As fish cooks, its flesh loses its shiny, almost translucent quality and gradually becomes opaque. To take a look, poke the tip of a paring knife between two flakes. Not only will you be able to see if the flesh is opaque throughout, but you’ll also be able to feel that the flesh has gone from flimsy to firm. However, it should not flake apart – that’s overdone.”
Is Salmon and Broccoli Stir Fry Gluten Free?
Provided you use Tamari instead of soy sauce, this recipe is gluten free.
This is a seriously easy dish to throw together and makes a great family lunch or dinner. It’s also a beautiful main course to serve to guests. If eating well deliciously is important to you, my Salmon and Broccoli Stir Fry is a recipe you will love!
Salmon and Broccoli Stir Fry – Printable Recipe
Salmon and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 1 teaspoon mild olive oil
- 2 medium skinless and boneless salmon fillets, thawed if frozen
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cups brown rice, or rice of your choice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets, broken into small pieces or sliced
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons low salt soy sauce or Tamari be sure to use Tamari if you need the recipe to be gluten free
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C or 180°C for a fan oven).
- Place a large sheet of aluminum foil shiny side down on a baking sheet.
- Brush the foil with olive oil and lay the salmon fillets on top.
- Sprinkle the salmon with salt and pepper and fold the foil around it, bringing the sides up and sealing it at the top by folding it over so that you have a sort of parcel.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. You can tell when the salmon is done by poking the tip of a knife between to flakes. The fish should be opaque and the flesh firm.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in boiling water according to packet instructions.
- Heat the sesame oil in a frying pan or wok.
- When it is very hot, add the sliced onion and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the broccoli and red pepper and stir fry for three or four minutes.
- Mix the soy sauce and honey together in a small bowl and add it to the stir fry.
- Unwrap the salmon and break it into fairly large pieces with a fork.
- Stir into the vegetables very gently and heat through.
- Taste for seasoning, adding more pepper if necessary.
- Divide the drained rice between four warmed bowls and serve the stir fry on top of the rice.