If you love seafood, you will love this Shrimp and Crab Appetizer Salad recipe. Fresh, light and wholesome, it couldn’t be easier to make. My Shrimp and Crab Appetizer Salad makes a fantastic starter or you can serve larger portions for a light lunch alongside some good brown bread (buttered and with the crusts cut off, of course!).
Sometimes I use smaller shrimp and serve the mixture on crackers or crostini as hors d’oeuvres at cocktail parties. These hors d’oeuvres always disappear the first time I pass them around!
I love to serve this Shrimp and Crab Appetizer Salad at dinner parties. You can make it earlier in the day and keep it in the fridge until it’s time to serve. This is the perfect opportunity to get those pretty glasses you’ve been saving for special occasions out of the cupboard and use them. I used to keep special china and crystal ‘for good’ and they hardly ever saw the light of day. Then one day I realised that the joy of having these things is in seeing them and using them. Now almost everything I have – except the most fragile antiques – is in regular use.
Quality Ingredients Make The Difference
Because there are so few ingredients, you want to be sure they are all good quality. Fresh seafood, crisp veggies and good mayonnaise will ensure that this Shrimp and Crab Appetizer Salad turns out beautifully. When it comes to crab meat, of course you can used canned white crab meat if you are on a budget. If you can manage fresh, it is even better. I use Seafood and Eat It Cornish White Crab. Be sure to use a good mayonnaise you really like. Those of a sensitive nature should look away now, but I always use Hellmann’s Extra Light. I know it’s a long way from homemade, but I genuinely love the flavour, as well as the fact it isn’t loaded with calories.
Perfect for Holiday entertaining, my Shrimp and Crab Appetizer Salad makes regular appearances at Thanksgiving and Christmas. People even ask for it. Give the quick and easy recipe a try and you will see why!
Shrimp and Crab Appetizer Salad Printable Recipe
- ⅓ cup prepared white crab meat
- 16 to 20 medium to large shrimp
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 4 spring onions (scallions) finely chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon celery salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1½ teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of your favourite mayonnaise
- Mix the crab and shrimp together in a bowl with the red pepper, celery and spring onions.
- Sprinkle with the celery salt and black pepper.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Gradually add the mayonnaise, a bit at a time, until the mixture just clings together.
- Spoon into pretty bowls and serve.
- Spoon into pretty bowls and serve. I like to make sure there is a shrimp or two on the very top of the salad, it makes it look pretty.
- Garnish with paprika or chopped, fresh parsley.
- (To prepare ahead of time, prepare to the end of step 4, cover and keep in the fridge until ready to serve. Portion out and garnish just before serving. Best served on the day it is made.)