If you love a good fish dish, you will love my Spicy Crab Topped Cod Fillets. With a lightly-spiced, crunchy topping, this recipe is sure to please even the fussiest fish eater. Plus it’s easy to adapt to your family’s taste and dietary requirements.
Fish is a really healthy choice, so my family and I eat a lot of it. Spicy Crab Topped Cod is one of our favourite recipes, but there are many other cod recipes that we enjoy. We also love shrimp recipes, and my Salmon and Broccoli Stir Fry is always a hit.
Spicy Crab Topped Cod
Looking for a quick and easy recipe that won’t heat up the kitchen too much? My Spicy Crab Topped Cod Fillets are ready in less than half an hour. All you need are some veggies to serve alongside. It’s great with some lightly stir fried cabbage with some frozen peas added just a couple minutes before the end of cooking, or just straight frozen peas are fine. Green beans work well too. You can do the vegetables while the fish is cooking, making this a great dish for entertaining. Feeling really hungry? Add some new potatoes, simply boiled and sprinkled with parsley, or lightly crushed.
Tips for Making Spicy Crab Topped Cod
I call this recipe Spicy Crab Topped Cod, but you can use any firm white fish you like. Fillets of haddock work very well, as do hake or pollack fillets. Choose whatever white fish is easily available, sustainably fished and suits your budget. Whatever white fish you choose, the topping will make it special.
You can easily double this recipe for entertaining, or if you have a larger family.
When it comes to the spice in this Crab Topped Cod recipe, how much chilli you use is up to you. Honestly, if your family doesn’t like spice, you can even skip it. When I first started making this recipe, my husband wasn’t into chillis, so I know for a fact it is very delicious without them.
This recipe is pretty healthy too. White fish and crab give you protein, iron, vitamins and minerals, without a lot of calories. It takes very little cheese to add a lot of flavour, and with only a tablespoon of breadcrumbs the recipe is low carb as well.
Need a Dairy or Gluten-Free Version of this Recipe?
If you are trying to avoid dairy, feel free to leave out the cheese topping. Or try using a vegan Parmesan style cheese. The breadcrumbs will still make the topping crunchy.
Need a gluten-free version of this recipe? Gluten-free breadcrumbs work just as well as Panko or ordinary breadcrumbs.
Spicy Crab Topped Cod – Printable Recipe
Spicy Crab Topped Cod Fillets
- 3 cod or other white fish fillets
- 3.5 ounces prepared white crab meat
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced red pepper
- 2 spring onions, very finely chopped Spring onions are also known as scallions.
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs I use Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon finely chopped red chillis add more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh flat leaf parsley Or use about ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely grated cheddar or Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C, 180°C for a fan oven).
- Place the cod fillets on a non-stick baking pan, or spray your pan with a little olive oil and put the cod fillets on top. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir the crab meat, red pepper, scallions, breadcrumbs, chilli, parsley, celery salt and pepper together.
- Use one-third of the mixture to top each of the cod fillets, lightly pressing and mounding the mixture over the top of the fish.
- Sprinkle each cod fillet with 1 teaspoon of the grated cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cod is cooked through, and the topping is lightly golden.
- Carefully remove from the baking sheet to dinner plates with a fish slice.
- Serve with your choice of green vegetables, and potatoes if liked.