My delicious Warm Wild Rice Salad with Sausages and Apples makes an easy weeknight supper, but it’s also great for entertaining. Perfect for all seasons, it is especially nice made with fresh local apples. The best part is, this recipe only about takes about 30 minutes to prepare!
An Oldie But A Goodie
I first published my Warm Wild Rice Salad with Sausages and Apples back in 2011, but all these years later, it’s still a family favourite. I actually made it for dinner a couple of nights ago! The recipe is super flavourful but really mild. As a result, even fussy eaters will enjoy it. It’s definitely kid friendly!
Tips for Making Wild Rice Salad with Sausages and Apples
- Leave the apples unpeeled. The skin adds a lovely colour to the dish, and it also saves time.
- Use a mix of red-skinned and green-skinned apples for more colour.
- You can switch the flavours in this recipe up by using different kinds of sausages. My favourites are the Caramelised Onion sausages from my local butchers. It’s also fun to use pork and apple sausages to for an extra apple-y dish, or try a spicy Italian sausage.
- This recipe is perfect for using up leftover sausages. Slice them and add to the mixture just after the apples. You may need to heat them through for a little bit longer if they are fridge cold. Be sure they are piping hot before serving.
- You can use ordinary cider vinegar or a more artisanal blend. I sometimes use Damson cider vinegar with honey.
- If you don’t have cider vinegar, red wine vinegar will also work. However I prefer the way cider vinegar echoes the flavour of the apples.
Is There a Vegetarian Version of This Recipe?
You can use your favourite vegetarian sausages for this recipe and get great results.
Is This Recipe Gluten Free?
If you use gluten free sausages, gluten free mustard, and ensure that your wild rice blend does not contain any grain, then Wild Rice Salad with Sausages and Apples can be gluten free.
How Should I Serve Wild Rice Salad with Sausages and Apples?
I sometimes serve this recipe on its own, but it’s also nice served with some broccoli or another green vegetable. If you aren’t concerned about carbs, you can always serve some warm rolls alongside. Warm Wild Rice Salad with Sausages and Apples is especially delicious accompanied by a nice glass of red wine.
Warm Wild Rice Salad with Sausages and Apples – Printable Recipe