My delicious Warm Wild Rice Salad with Sausages and Apples makes an easy weeknight family supper, but it’s also great for entertaining. Perfect for all seasons, it is especially nice made with fresh local apples. The best part is, this recipe only about takes about 30 minutes to prepare!
An Oldie But A Goodie
I first published my Warm Wild Rice Salad with Sausages and Apples back in 2011, but all these years later, it’s still a family favourite. I actually made it for dinner a couple of nights ago. The recipe is super flavourful but really mild. As a result, even fussy eaters will enjoy it. It’s definitely kid friendly!
Tips for Making Wild Rice Salad with Sausages and Apples
- Leave the apples unpeeled. The skin adds a lovely colour to the dish, and it also saves time.
- Use a mix of red-skinned and green-skinned apples for more colour.
- You can switch the flavours in this recipe up by using different kinds of sausages. My favourites are the Caramelised Onion sausages from my local butchers. It’s also fun to use pork and apple sausages to for an extra apple-y dish, or try a spicy Italian sausage.
- This recipe is perfect for using up leftover sausages. Slice them and add to the mixture just after the apples. You may need to heat them through for a little bit longer if they are fridge cold. Be sure they are piping hot before serving.
- You can use ordinary cider vinegar or a more artisanal blend. I sometimes use Damson cider vinegar with honey.
- If you don’t have cider vinegar, red wine vinegar will also work. However I prefer the way cider vinegar echoes the flavour of the apple.
To make this recipe vegetarian, use your favourite vegetarian sausages instead of meaty sausages for wonderful results.
Is This Recipe Gluten Free?
If you use gluten free sausages, gluten free mustard, and ensure that your wild rice blend does not contain any grain, then Wild Rice Salad with Sausages and Apples can be gluten free.
How Should I Serve Wild Rice Salad with Sausages and Apples?
I sometimes serve this recipe on its own, but it’s also nice served with some broccoli or another green vegetable. If you aren’t concerned about carbs, you can always serve some warm rolls alongside. Warm Wild Rice Salad with Sausages and Apples is especially delicious accompanied by a nice glass of red wine.
Warm Wild Rice Salad with Sausages and Apples – Printable Recipe
Warm Wild Rice Salad with Sausages and Apples
- 3 tablespoons mild olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 8 good quality sausages If the sausages are thin you may want to use 12
- 1 cup long grain and wild rice
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 eating apples, cored and chopped but not peeled I like to mix red and green skinned apples for colour if possible
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, plain or wholegrain
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C or 180°C for fan or convection ovens).
- Bake the sausages in a roasting pan for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in a pan of boiling, salted water according to package directions. When cooked, drain and keep warm.
- While the rice is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan oven medium heat.
- Sauté the onion until it begins to soften. Sprinkle the onion with a bit of salt to keep it from browning too much.
- Add the garlic and chopped apples and stir fry for a moment or two.
- When the sausages are cool enough to handle, cut each one in 3 or 4 smaller pieces. Be careful not to burn yourself.
- Add the pieces of sausage to the frying pan.
- Mix the remaining two tablespoons of oil with the cider vinegar, honey and mustard. You can either whisk the ingredients together or shake them up in a clean jam or Mason jar.
- Pour the mixture over the sausages and apples and stir to coat.
- Allow everything to sizzle up together and heat through. The apples should be slightly softened and tender crisp.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the rice between 4 plates.
- Serve the sausage and apple mixture on top of the rice.