Red Pepper Crostini Topping
Perfect for entertaining, my Red Pepper Crostini are an easy to make, versatile, vegan appetizer that everyone will love.
- 3 tablespoons mild olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled, cut in half and finely sliced
- 4 red peppers, de-seeded and finely sliced You can use assorted peppers in colours of your choice.
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and grated or finely chopped You can use 2 teaspoons Very Lazy Chopped Garlic or frozen chopped garlic instead
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, finely chopped You can use dried parsley if fresh is unavailable.
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
Sauté the onion for two to three minutes until it begins to soften.
Add the sliced peppers and cook for ten minutes, stirring occasionally, until just softened.
Add the garlic, capers (if using) and vinegar.
Simmer gently for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
Taste carefully (it will be very hot!) and add salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer the mixture to a serving dish and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. You can also cool completely to room temperature. Either way, garnish with the chopped parsley just before serving.