Apple Pear and Pecan Streusel Muffins taste of late summer and early fall. They are perfect for breakfast, tucked in a lunch box or served alongside a cup of tea in the late afternoon. I also serve them with a wedge of sharp mature cheddar for a more substantial snack.
Fall apples and pears always seduce me with their gorgeous colours, the sweet smell of their skin, and their wonderful flavours. My passion for them means I tend to overbuy. Sometimes we just can’t eat them fast enough and when that happens, I make Crock Pot Apple and Pear Sauce. There is regularly a crock pot on the go in my kitchen, the smell of cinnamon and ginger wafting through the air.
I serve Apple and Pear Sauce on its own, alongside pork roasts, warm with ice cream for dessert, and I use it in baking. It makes gorgeously moist loaf cakes and tasty muffins – especially these Apple Pear and Pecan Streusel Muffins.
The Apple and Pear Sauce makes these muffins really moist. This means the muffins keep well at room temperature for about 3 days although I must admit they never last very long in our house! You can also freeze them if you like but do bring them back to room temperature or heat them gently before eating.
Apple Pear and Pecan Streusel Muffins can be made with store bought applesauce or pear compote too – you just have to adjust the name of the muffins if you do. Equally, feel free to play with the spices. It already contains cinnamon and ginger but I like to add even more to my muffin recipe. If you don’t love spices as much as I do, don’t add any additional spice to the muffin batter, just put it in the streusel.
With a lovely, spicy sweet flavour, my Apple Pear and Pecan Streusel Muffins are a great way to celebrate all the glorious abundance of this wonderful time of year.
Printable Apple Pear and Pecan Streusel Muffins Recipe
Apple Pear and Pecan Streusel Muffins
- For the streusel
- 3 tablespoons cold butter cut in small pieces
- 6 tablespoons plain all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- For the muffins
- 2 cups all purpose plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup apple and pear sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C or 165°C for a fan oven).
- Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Make the streusel - Cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger together in a large bowl.
- Add the chopped pecans and toss to coat them in the flour mixture. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar together.
- Add the egg, vanilla and apple and pear sauce and beat together well.
- Remove the bowl from the electric mixer and fold the flour and nuts into the batter using a wooden spoon.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups.
- Sprinkle the streusel mixture over top of each muffin.
- Bake from 15 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Take the muffins out of the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove the muffins from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
- It's okay to have one if you can't resist, they taste really yummy warm!