I love muffins made with healthy, wholesome ingredients and my Applesauce Raisin Pecan Muffins really fit the bill. They make a delicious breakfast or snack and are very portable so perfect for packed lunches.
I can’t lie, Applesauce Raisin Pecan Muffins do taste best with homemade applesauce – and the advantage to homemade applesauce is that there are no additives or preservatives in it. I recently discovered how to make applesauce in the crockpot and it couldn’t be easier or more convenient. It’s a great way to use up a glut of apples and you can adjust the spices to suit as well. Sometimes I add cinnamon as the recipe suggests but I’ve also been known to add a pinch of nutmeg or ginger too. It’s simply a matter of taste and mood. Of course, store bought applesauce works perfectly well in this recipe too.
You really don’t need much sugar in this recipe as the applesauce is already sweetened and the raisins add a nice flavour as well. You can leave out the pecans and add more raisins if you prefer – or vice versa – the muffins are still equally delicious.
I love Applesauce Raisin Pecan Muffins warm from the oven but they will keep in a sealed container for a couple of days. I like to warm them up a bit before serving although they taste nice at room temperature too.
Sometimes I use cute little disposable baby loaf pans instead of muffin pans for this recipe. It makes a nice change and it’s great if you are planning to give some of them away. Depending on the size of the mini loaves they may take just a couple minutes longer to cook.
Applesauce Raisin Pecan Muffins
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1¼ cups applesauce
- 2 cups all purpose plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup pecan halves roughly chopped
- For the topping
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- ½ to 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease or line a 12-muffin muffin pan or use disposable mini loaf pans.
- Cream the butter and sugar in an electric mixer.
- Add the egg, vanilla and applesauce.
- Beat for about one minute until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together into a large bowl.
- Remove the bowl from the electric mixer.
- Add the sifted flour mixture to the applesauce mixture and stir in using a wooden spoon, just until blended.
- Stir in the raisins and pecans.
- Divide the batter between the muffin pans or loaf pans.
- Mix together the white sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle over the muffins or mini loaves.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the muffins comes out clean.
Quick and easy to make, wholesome and delicious, whip up a batch of these tasty muffins today! Or try my Applesauce Date and Walnut Loaf Cake.