There’s nothing like a good Chicken and Vegetable Pie, also known as Chicken Pot Pie. Trouble is, most recipes take quite a long time to make. You have to prepare the chicken and vegetable filling, cool it, then make the pastry and roll it out, add the filling and finally bake the pie. It’s hardly the work of moments.
What if I told you that you could have a tasty Chicken and Vegetable Pie on the table in under an hour? I love this recipe because it tastes amazing and is such a great way to use up leftovers. The recipe calls for cooked chicken breasts (turkey or ham could be easily substituted) and either leftover or frozen vegetables. Using ready rolled pastry means it’s really quick and easy, but of course you can use homemade pastry if you prefer.
The creamy filling makes this pie pure comfort food, perfect for anytime you need a bit of a lift.
Chicken and Vegetable Pie – Printable Recipe
Chicken and Vegetable Pie with Jus-Rol Pastry
- 2 Jus-Rol Shortcrust ready-rolled sheets, thawed if frozen Or use another ready made pastry or homemade pastry if you have it
- 1 leek, trimmed and sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 cups cooked mixed vegetables, such as carrots, peas and corn This is a great way to use leftovers.
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- Beaten egg to glaze
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Use one sheet of pastry to line the bottom of an 8 inch (20 cm) pie dish.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Stir in the leeks, and cook until they begin to soften.
- Add the chicken and cooked vegetables.
- Sprinkle with the flour and stir through.
- Add the milk and stir until a smooth sauce is formed.
- Cook for a minute or two.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for ten minutes.
- Pour the filling into the pastry dish.
- Brush the edge with beaten egg and top with the remaining sheet of pastry.
- Cut two small slits in the top of the pastry to allow the steam to escape.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg.
- Bake the pie for 20 to 25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
More Delicious Savoury Pies
Disclosure: I have not been paid for this post. I received supermarket vouchers to purchase the pastry to make this recipe but this has not affected my review. All the opinions contained in this post are my own.