I’ve been a fan of Cindy of Hun, What’s For Dinner for some time now. I always enjoy her posts and her recipes are absolutely wonderful. I’m so excited that she is sharing her Creamy Roast Tomato Soup recipe with us today! (Updated December 2020, Cindy is now blogging at Mom, The Lunch Lady.)
I think Cindy and I first ‘met’ virtually via a blog hop (which may have been Hearth and Soul) but it’s so long ago I can’t actually remember! However, it is only recently that I have had the pleasure of working more closely with Cindy. I was so pleased when she agreed to do a guest post for me as part of my 12th Blogging Anniversary Celebrations. It’s a real pleasure to have her here on the blog today, so over to Cindy!
Hello! Thank you so much to April, for having me as a guest blogger. I am Cindy, from the blog Hun… What’s for Dinner? I’m looking forward to sharing my Creamy Roast Tomato Soup Recipe with you, but first, let me share a bit about me. I started blogging 6 years ago, when my son was 3, as a way to keep track of recipes my family enjoyed and to share them with friends and family. I’ve been a fan of April’s for several years now and it’s only just recently (this year) that we’ve become closer through Facebook. When she asked if anyone would like to help her, by writing a guest post for her blog, I quickly volunteered.
Creamy Roast Tomato Soup Recipe
What I’d like to share with you today, is a super simple roast tomato soup recipe. I first saw this recipe on TV, while watching one of Chef Gordon Ramsay’s Home Cooking episodes. I noted that it would be a wonderful soup, and didn’t give it another thought; until this fall that is. I happened to pick up a large basket of fresh organic plum tomatoes, at a local farm market. As soon as I saw them, I knew I wanted to make that soup. It is deliciously sweet and savoury, and the cream adds a subtly rich creaminess, that cuts the tanginess of the tomatoes. Super simple, it is a perfect soup for a cold fall/winter evening, or even special enough for a luncheon.
Creamy Roast Tomato Soup Recipe – Printable Version
Creamy Roast Tomato Soup Recipe
- 2 yellow onions peeled and sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves peeled and finely sliced
- ½ to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds ripe tomatoes cored and halved (about 10 to 12 tomatoes)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 4½ cups 1¾ pint chicken stock
- ½ cup 3½ fluid ounces half and half (single cream in the UK)
- extra olive oil to drizzle when serving
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Heat the 3 tablespoons of olive oil, in a large roasting pan/tray, on the stove over medium heat.
- Add in the onions, garlic and cayenne pepper. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the onions become translucent.
- Add in the tomatoes, cut side down and season with salt, pepper, sugar and balsamic vinegar.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and cook 3 to 4 minutes until the tomatoes begin to caramelize.
- Place the roasting pan in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oven, placing the roasting pan back on the stove, over medium heat.
- Add in the chicken stock, scraping up the delicious brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the half and half and continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- At this point you can use a stick blender to blend the soup to an almost smooth consistency. If you would like a chunkier, more rustic soup, simply use a potato masher and mash the tomatoes to your desired consistency.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and some good fresh bread.
Thank you so much for this lovely guest post and delicious Creamy Roast Tomato Soup recipe, Cindy!