My Easy Mediterranean Sausage and Vegetable Bake is a one pan dinner that the whole family will love. Freshly roasted vegetables are the perfect foil for the deep, earthy flavour of lentils in a delicious dressing, topped with your favourite sausages. The best bit? The recipe doesn’t take very long to make, and it’s full of wholesome ingredients.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn commission from qualifying purchases.
Mediterranean Sausage and Vegetable Bake is the kind of meal I love to serve for midweek suppers or a relaxed weekend meal. It’s also great for a quick and easy dinner when you get home late and really don’t feel like cooking.
The Right Sausages Make All The Difference
Sausages may not be a food that is normally looked on as a health food. Always choose sausages that contain fresh, ethically raised meat, without a lot of added breadcrumbs, fat or preservatives. Handmade or artisanal varieties can be better for you.
Varying the type of sausages you use can make this a really versatile recipe. I like to use the handmade Caramelised Onion Sausages from my local butchers, Green’s of Pangbourne (not sponsored, just saying!). Italian Sausages work really well in this Mediterranean Sausage and Vegetable Bake too.
Is There A Vegetarian Option for Mediterranean Sausage and Vegetable Bake?
Vegetarian sausages also work well, making this a meal that everyone will love.
Cooking with Lentils
Lentils are real nutritional powerhouses. Full of vitamins, fibre, minerals and protein, they are low in calories and have hardly any fat.
Easy Mediterranean Sausage and Vegetable Bake is a gentle introduction to cooking with lentils, in that the recipe calls for pre-cooked puy lentils. Tinned (canned) lentils will work too. Simply drain them, rinse well, and add to the recipe. Of course, you can cook the lentils from scratch too!
A deliciously easy dish for quick family suppers or easy entertaining (when we are allowed to entertain again!), my Easy Mediterranean Sausage and Vegetable Bake is sure to become a real family favourite.
Easy Mediterranean Sausage and Vegetable Bake – Printable Recipe
Easy Mediterranean Sausage and Vegetable Bake
- 8 of your favourite sausages You can use any kind of meat or vegetarian sausages
- 2 generous tablespoons olive oil
- 1 aubergine, cut in 2 centimetre cubes Aubergine is also known as Eggplant
- 1 cup mushrooms, cut in quarters
- 1 red onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium courgettes, sliced in half moons Courgette are also known as Zucchini
- 2 red peppers, de-seeded, sliced and cut in squares
- generous grinding of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 generous teaspoon of paprika
- generous pinch of salt, to taste optional, leave out if you are on a low salt diet
- 8 ounces cooked puy lentils either a 250 gram/8 ounce pouch or 1 cup of drained and rinsed lentils from a can
- 2 tablespoons red wine or sherry vinegar
- dried flat leaf parsley for garnish or chopped fresh if you have it
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C or 180°C for fan ovens).
- Prepare the vegetables. Set aside.
- Brush a large baking sheet (sheet pan) with a skim of olive oil and put the sausages in the oven to brown up a bit.
- Cook for ten minutes, turning the sausages once or twice.
- When the sausages have browned up a little, add all the vegetables to the pan.
- Sprinkle with the pepper, basil, oregano and paprika.
- Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the top, and toss everything together.
- Return the pan to the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes, stirring the sausages and vegetables around once, until the vegetables have softened and are beginning to take on some colour.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven and sprinkle the lentils over top.
- Drizzle the whole lot with the vinegar and toss to coat.
- Return the pan to the oven for 5 minutes. The sausages should have reached an internal temperature of at least 165°F (74°C).
- Serve in warmed bowls. Each person should have 2 sausages and a quarter of the vegetable mixture.
- Garnish with flat leaf parsley.