I always say that I look forward to the leftovers from Christmas dinner almost more than Christmas dinner itself. There’s nothing like a good turkey sandwich or a warming and delicious dish simply thrown together with all the bits and pieces you have left in the fridge. My Deliciously Easy Christmas Leftovers Dish is one that I’ve been making for years but have never written down. It’s very flexible and is great with leftover turkey, leftover ham, or both!
The great thing about my Deliciously Easy Christmas Leftovers Dish is that it is perfect for when you are getting down to the last of the leftovers, the little bits and pieces of turkey or ham that are not big enough for much but are way too good to waste. I like to serve this on rice, just for a change from all the potatoes we eat over Christmas. However it tastes lovely with roast or mashed potatoes too. Totally comfort food, totally easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. That’s why I love my leftovers!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or any mild vegetable oil)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 red or green pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup chicken, vegetable or ham stock
- 1½ to 2 cups milk (you may not need it all)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce OR 1 tablespoon sherry or Madeira
- 1½ to 2 cups leftover turkey or ham - or both - chopped into bite size pieces
- ½ cup frozen peas
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- cooked rice or potatoes to serve
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion, stirring frequently, for three to five minutes or until it has begun to soften and become translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to soften.
- Sprinkle the flour over top of the vegetables and stir through.
- Cook for a minute or so, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the chicken stock, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken.
- Add the milk, a bit at a time, stirring after each addition until the sauce thickens. Do this until you have a lovely creamy sauce.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce or sherry and stir to mix through.
- Stir in the meat and the frozen peas.
- Cook for about four minutes, stirring frequently, until the meat heats through and the peas are cooked. Add a bit more milk if the sauce becomes too thick.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve over rice or potatoes.
If you enjoyed this post you may also enjoy Wonderful Leftovers Casserole
Shared with Foodie Friday